PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways 747 diverts to Las Vegas - fumes in flight deck
Old 21st Feb 2013, 00:54
Fargoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dream Buster
http://www.aerotoxic.org/download/do...don%202006.pdf

Here is a University College London paper from 2006 estimating that:

(Top of page 523.)

Quote:
".......recorded a total of 72 flights experiencing
contaminated air. Given the low reporting rate of
3.66%, this could indicate that up to 1,967 flights in
the UK may have experienced contaminated air
events during 2004. If a modest passenger number
of 100 per flight is assumed, over 196,000
passengers could potentially present to general
physicians with symptoms of acute toxicity."
~ 500 a day.

The numbers game is impossible with no toxic air detection systems - remember, that's how the airlines want it....

And the doctors can't work out why their anti-depressants aren't working.
Is there such a system that could be installed on the market? We were told when these fume events started appearing in great numbers that the PPM of the particles was so small that they could not be detected.

As for filters, are there any on the market that could filter out these harmful fumes. I doubt it. We have high quality HEPA filters on all of our aircraft but they don't filter out smells.

Is there really a conspiracy? Have hundreds of airline employees been systematically hiding evidence of physical damage to their flight crews or is it a small number of individuals that are unfortunately very sensitive to these events?

It's an interesting subject and one I'd particularly like to see put to bed properly one way or another.

Unfortunately sloppy research like that quoted above does nothing to further this subject. Extrapolation like that is pure fantasy. I'm sure if there were 500 people a day reporting to GPs with acute symptoms it would become obvious to everyone what the cause was. Or are you suggesting all patients with depression have been poisoned on board an aircraft?