PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris Interview on TV (merged - AGAIN!)
Old 20th Feb 2013, 22:32
Caspian237

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember watching a documentary, possibly from the old "The World at War" series in which Albert Speer, architect and German Minister of Armaments, was asked questions regarding the Allied bombing campaign. In his opinion the Allies had virtually opened up a new front requiring tens of thousands of people to man and support their air defence system not to mention the resources and materials that had to be committed that otherwise could have been employed against the Soviets. Also, by 1944 the Luftwaffe had virtually ended large scale involvement in the ground war with seniors such as Adolf Galland loathe to commit to anything that would detract from the air defence of Germany.

I'm not suggesting that all Germans are applauding our brilliant coup but sometimes the opinions of a one-time enemy can cut through all the political correctness, though
I've not seen the recent documentary so perhaps I'm doing the BBC a huge injustice?

Last edited by Caspian237; 20th Feb 2013 at 22:51.