PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Design review for 787 and “Plan B” for A350 XWB triggered by Lithium ion batteries
Old 20th Feb 2013, 22:22
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac...

Yes, the construction is of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic. (CFRP). This material is not allowed in the areas of the aircraft that contain passengers, and/or crew. It is flammable, and burns with toxic byproducts.

Two Phase (Resin/Matrix) materials are not new. I started working with them in 1953, when I was building model aircraft, and my father came home from the lab with beakers of evil smelling brown amber liquid, and a lavender coloured "paste". Mixed together, the reaction created heat and a rapidly hardened polymer glob that was seemingly indestructible.

I used it for motor mounts, filleting wing/fuselage, and anything else I could sculpt quickly. I have used it on boats, autos, and flown Bede and Rutan aircraft, made of composite construction.

It makes the Dreamliner an historic benchmark in efficiency, its light weight and remarkable strength signal a revolution in air travel, and fuel efficiency.

It has a downside. As amicus has posted, it is chemically complex, and burns with a long list of products not conducive to mammalian respiration.

My concern when I first saw the NTSB image of the technician in the EE Bay was how much, if any, involvement there was of resin in the fire. Once ignited, it is very difficult to extinguish, and since it is structural, there are concerns. I have had some difficulty finding the outcome of the injured firefighter, my hope is that he was equipped with a breathing system, and had adequate heat protection.

The wrecked B2 burned for two days.