PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Issue Corrective Flying Spectacles(CFS)
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:02
Owd Yella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CFS

I have just taken delivery of 2 pairs of the new style CFS and they don't make you any more handsome than the old style ones! Indeed, I fail to understand how the Glasses PT have found something else so truly un-stylish.

Your mil doctor will, assuming you need CFS or a new prescription, add you to an Eyecare Plan. The details will be forwarded to your email (work only IIRC) and you then call the local optician and make an appointment. Included in the email will be a list of opticians, primarily Optical Express, you can go to but the PT have scored again here, as none will be particularly close. Their remit was for personnel to travel up to an hour for the appointment but, of course, you have to collect them as they will not post them. So, that's 2 journeys and clearly you can claim ...oh no, of course not! Don't bother calling the Eyecare number to see if you can go anywhere other than the 20 or so on the email, as they don't have the CFS available to them. I know, I wasted much of my time having a test at an optician not on the mil list after being told by Eyecare I could go anywhere for my test.

The specs are in 1 style if you are AH and 4 others, for normal people, which are pretty much the same shape but differing in size. They feel really flimsy but are very lightweight; I know there is scepticism whether they will last. They come in bi-focal and vary-focal flavours in a very soft case which is probably one of the major flaws.

Below are some pics of mine on my rather dirty Nairobi hotel floor - note the really cool cleaning cloth!

Maybe not, I can't seem to work out how to upload a photo this evening but will work on it.