PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:05
SLFandProud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They could redesign the brakes so that they are normally fully on and elictric power is only needed to hold them off. Some bird's feet work that way - by default they grip any twig the bird perches on and effort is needed to release the grip when they want to fly away. That way, the bird can sleep without falling off its perch.
This is how the brakes on trains* have been designed for decades.

The brakes on every coach are held on (by springs, for example) and released by the action of a round-train circuit, in early days pneumatic/vacuum, these days electrical. The circuit needs to be complete - and everything else needs to be operating correctly - to release the brakes; if the train separates or something else goes wrong, or the power is cut, the brakes apply. Of course a million implausible runaway-train movies ignore this but that's to be expected ;-).

I'm not sure the fail safe function of this in aviation is entirely as clear cut (eg. if a plane were to land with the brakes stuck on would this cause the landing gear to shear off which may be worse than landing with brakes off - a genuine question, I don't know the answer), but the principle is well founded.

* very long trains - primarily freight - suffer from the problem that a braking 'signal' can take an awfully long time to propagate down the train pneumatically, so the train will 'bunch up' on braking and 'string out' on brake release, meaning careful driving skill is required to avoid damaging the train, but electronic signalling obviously eliminates this these days. I believe unbraked wagons were abandoned even for freight about a century ago, but for that reason I won't be surprised if someone can come up with a counterexample...