PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Design review for 787 and “Plan B” for A350 XWB triggered by Lithium ion batteries
Old 20th Feb 2013, 15:20
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi RR some questions....

Sturdier, vented and AIR CIRCULATION case brings benefits on mitigation and reliability.
With a "vented" enclosure at 41000 feet and 6000 pressure altitude inside, is there a problem? Wouldn't the drop in pressure in the box eject all the contents of the battery enclosure instantly? Explosive decompression?

Still havng a problem getting my head around FIRE/MITIGATION...

The combusted products, exiting the "vent" pipe, will not ignite the Hull?

God borbid the enclosure leaks burning electrolyte on to the fuselage structure, (epoxy resin), how is that potential "mitigated"?

I do not see how any fire can be allowed aboard any commercial aircraft?

What did I miss in the NTSB chief's statement re fire?

The logical solution for Boeing would be to install ceramic plates between each cell and add a vent to the battery box, Kiyoshi Kanamura, a professor at Tokyo Metropolitan University who has conducted research with several Japanese battery makers, told Reuters on Tuesday.
I'll have to check the ceramic reference for timing, I believe it was here on PPRuNe early on...

"Venting"? The box cannot be vented during operations, it would expose the cells to damaging pressure cycle flexing.

If it "Vented" only after fire, or whatever was alerted in the cockpit, the pressure differential would expel all contents out the overboard dump instantly.

I am sure BOEING have thought of that.

As to "Close" to a "solution".... Closer than at Certification?

Close counts in Horseshoes....

Last edited by Lyman; 20th Feb 2013 at 15:37.