PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feb 21 - Qantas due to release its first-half results today has been caught off guard
Old 20th Feb 2013, 13:29
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feb 21 - Qantas due to release its first-half results today, caught off guard

Qantas director caught up in corruption scandal

"Qantas has been caught off guard by the revelation that one of its non-executive directors, Corinne Namblard, is part of an investigation into the corruption scandal surrounding the world’s oldest surviving bank, Italy’s Monte dei Paschi di Siena."

With the national carrier preparing to release its first-half results on Thursday, the board at Qantas was only made aware of Ms Namblard’s connection to the long-running scandal in Siena on Wednesday, when The Australian Financial Review sought comment from the director. Ms Namblard, relatively unknown in the Australian market until her appointment to the Qantas board in June 2011

"The Qantas director specifically denied reports in local Italian media that she had personally been charged in relation to the investigation. “I feel very strongly about this, my personal reputation is clearly at stake here,” Ms Namblard said.

“I have to officially make a very clear statement that there are absolutely no charges. Yes, there are investigations going on. Yes, we have been caught in the process of those investigations."

“My lawyers and myself have repeatedly said things have been done by Galaxy above the board and in a very transparent manner.”

Asked why the Qantas board was not aware of the ongoing investigation in Italy, which has proceeded to a preliminary hearing, Ms Namblard said the matter had been discussed with the headhunter who recruited her to the director role and “other people” were aware of it." my bold

Qantas director caught up in corruption scandal
Hmm, Fun way to start off today's proceedings.. could be a long day for the PR script re-writers me thinks... more to come...

Last edited by TIMA9X; 21st Feb 2013 at 06:40.