PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sportcruiser Purchase
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2013, 11:58
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps if I may share my experience with aircraft ownership and operation it could be of help. I purchased an aircraft in the same price range and for similar use as you are now contemplating and am also a VFR duffer with no ambitions of becoming the next Chuck Yeager, but am totally addicted to flying.

Firstly I have no opinion on the Sport Cruiser (I don’t even know what it is) but think that whatever make/model you decide on, you do not under any circumstances want to have it parked up outside. Apart from the obvious weather related issues a good part of aircraft ownership is what I call the “faffing around factor” nothing gives me greater pleasure on days when I can’t fly due to weather, or escaping a couples day out with the other half’s mate and her prat boyfriend, or even on those long dark winter nights I love to whittle away hours and even days faffing around in the hangar doing minor cosmetic fixes, cleaning, checking, routine servicing, and simulating flying and doing stuff like running my emergency procedures and fully understanding the aircraft systems and avionics etc. Now I don’t go as far as sitting left seat moving the yoke and making engine noises but I am damned close!

If hangar space is not available at your local strip, find it further afield until you can secure a space locally. I would not own an airplane if I could not have it inside especially here in the UK and not one that’s worth 60 grand, it would be a damn shame to have a nice piece of highly personal kit sitting outside. To me the flying part accounts for about 75% of the buzz of aircraft ownership, the rest is as described above, and can for the most part only be really done and enjoyable when its inside with your tools, manuals, spares, filters, oil and all the rest of the **** you are going to need at hand.

I also didn't know whether my anticipated flying hours would justify buying over renting and like you, I assume are fortunate enough to not really care if it does. I'm doing about 100 hours a year now which would justify it anyway, I doubt I would be doing those hours if I was renting. If all you want to do is fly then renting is probably the way to go (and also gives you model flexibility) if you want the full aircraft experience, buy and put it in a hangar.

Bottom line, aircraft ownership/flying is an expensive endeavour, if you are committed to doing it and you can afford it, do it right and buy it and baby it.
Good luck and remember, opinions are like arseholes, everybody’s got one.