PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2013, 20:52
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Improved Aerodynamics. Post# 2844.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARKINGMAD
I was under the impression that the PF onboard AF447 maintained too high a nose attitude for the phase of flight
As opposed to the THY, where the PF maintained (manually or via the a/p) too high a nose attitude for the phase of flight...

Technically correct, but in the case of AF447 the PF deliberately pulled up and kept pulling up despite such inputs being wildly inappropriate for the flight phase. The THY crew as far as I know did not - their stall resulted from failing to monitor thrust and airspeed while holding what would be a normal pitch attitude for approach - your mileage may vary, but I think that's a pretty significant difference.

Having just woken up and noticed this, Dozy, please tell me how the THY could FOLLOW THE GLIDEPATH with :
1. Idle thrust
2. Low decreasing IAS
3. Flap & gear deployed
but without an increasing AOA manifested by an abnormally high nose attitude for the configuration?

Is there something I missed during my ground skule and subsequent practising aviation (and training others in the black arts of flying) that says the basic pich attitude has no bearing on the approaching stall in unaccelerated (1G) flight? If there is, I need to know before I try the same trick on my next line flight!

I note with interest you say you are not a line pilot, but obviously aware of factors affecting how aircraft fly and crash and your posts seem to cause contoversy and provoke replies to that effect!

Can you recap on your aviation qualifications for the benefit of other readers? You sneaked in this unusual concept of how planes fly, so I politely request further clarification so's I can amend my Betty Windsor's noddys giuide to aviation!

Last edited by BARKINGMAD; 19th Feb 2013 at 20:56.