PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THS Jackscrew design
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2013, 17:27
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thermostat
That is why I said they should have landed earlier, long before LAX. LAX was too late as we now know.
Where else could they have gone? Lindbergh in San Diego is a challenging approach at the best of times from what I've been told, and certainly not ideal with a potential control issue.

Just because something is "certified" doesn't make it foolproof. there are a number of cases in aviation history where bad, but certified systems have killed people.
Agreed.

The screwjack should have placed at the trailing edge, not the leading edge, just as the rudder of a plane or boat is aft of the rudder post.
You can't fit it aft of the rudder post because there's no room. I'm having a little trouble understanding this theory of yours - could you humour me and go into a little more detail?

As far as I can tell, mounting it aft would cause the same failure mode to force the stab to nose-up and stall the aircraft rather than nose-down into a dive.

As far as the whistleblower is concerned, the mechanic unions should have made a stink and threatened to shut down the entire industry.
In an ideal world yes - but we're talking about the middle of a recession, and I don't know if the engineer concerned was affiliated.

Aviation is not the place to fool around. There is too much at stake.
Agreed in principle, but real-world issues tend to cloud things.