PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Avalanche deaths
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2013, 17:19
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP to fallen comrades.

I know only what I've read in the press, which is usually drivel, but it seems to have occurred in the vicinity of the Chalamain Gap. I don't know if it was in it, or near it.

For those not familiar, this is a about a 400 metre, narrow, shallow, rubble filled gorge which lies on the north exit of the Larig Ghru and must be transitted if you are making for the Sugar Bowl Car Park (you can avoid it if head direct to the CoylumBridge Hotel).

It is a ****ing awful 400 metres. On a dry day it's an awkward stumble over the rocks and boulders. On a wet day its a slippery hell hole. No idea what it's like in snow...I wouldn't go near it mid winter.

Last time I was there (just before midnight mid June) I noticed a new path that seemed to head up and round it, but I didn't take because it was dark and I was familiar with the old route. Now I'm wondering if they were on that path, cresting on side of the gorge, rather than going thru' the middle???

Trim Stab, this is a pretty unique feature, the floor of the gorge is 700 metres and the sides are about 50-60 metres up, although the south eastern flank does slope up much higher to the ridge coming off Lurcher's Crag.

There have been nine fatalities in the highlands in 2013. I am reminded of a quote by Cameron McNeish in one of my Munro books..

"There is no hillwalking in the highlands in winter. It is all mountaineering"