PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC (Australia) '4 Corners' programme 18 Feb - F35 expose
Old 19th Feb 2013, 04:38
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mk1, the man running the simulation did say that that result was a bit more dire than most, but I don't think anyone wastes computer time on a totally unrealistic scenario. (I'll accept that they may have been attempting to make a point, but I can't believe they'd have put on something totally unrealistic for the cameras, if only because the opposing side in the argument - LockMart and DMO - would be so easily placed to refute their claims, making their whole argument fall over. I see that nothing's been said today about that simulation being unrealistic - or if it has, I haven't heard it. In fact, I've heard diddly squat about last night's 4 Corners on today's MSM news.)

Currently serving AAVN people have said here on Pprune in the past that they've been told by their political masters that the ADF cannot afford to lose an MRH-90 or a Tiger because of the cost, both politically and in $$$, that any such loss would entail. If that's true, imagine what restrictions the knucks will be under with the F35s when/if they ever arrive.

I'm reminded of when the RAN bought the FFGs. The whole concept of the frigate was that it operated as an ASW platform with its on board ASW helicopters providing the 'pointy end' of its ASW role. We bought the ship, but for a very long time, no state of the art helicopter that could operate from it. So what did they do when the first FFG steamed in through Sydney Heads? They flew a bloody Kiowa out from Watson to be placed prominently on its flight deck - and Bruce and Sheila Taxpayer and the useless media were happy and content.

I can't help but feel we're going to see something similar with the F35. They might be allowed out to provide a bit of noise at the opening of the odd Formula One meeting to impress the taxpaying punters - and after seeing its hourly operating costs, at precious few times in between.