PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 18th Feb 2013, 22:49
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish,

There would have to be catastrophic event for the Australian dollar to "fall through the floor" (North Korea and Iran's nueclear ambitions ) and this would result in the costs of running an airline skyrocketing. Those airlines with high debt would collapse as people drastically reduced their travelling on top of that.
Maintenance being done offshore for Qantas would be cut back as the fleet scales back. This would exacerbate the current situation unfortunately.

But there appears to be no likelihood of the dollar doing that just yet, ( as much as it would benefit the national economy) nor in the short term, and in fact, any drop is going to be quite slow so perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you think that this is about to happen.

Pull up Terrain,

Katter's bill, unfortunately, will not get up.
He just doesn't generate enough support among other pollies despite being right. I've never liked his approach to many issues, but on this issue I agree in principle, and he needs to refine the delivery of the message to the right people to have a chance.