PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transfer times in T1 LHR - EI to NZ
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2013, 19:54
Gerry Lawlor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply #2

Again thanks for all of the inputs.

I would be clearly barking not to take account of the almost unanimous opinions of experienced punters on this site. Being of a certain age I am reluctant to make a successful transfer in T1 dependent on athleticism on my part. Also, I will be breaking the trip in HK for a few days so needs must pick up the prezzie booze in LHR.

Consequently, I have thrown the towel in and paid up for a transfer to a 2 hr earlier flight from DUB. At 60 quid it rankles but is better than having to throw myself on the mercies of AL who would be responsible for my late arrival/non-connection or so I believe. An additional 24 hr delay is not available as fallback as there is no NZ38 flying on the Monday! Besides which, after more than 40 years travelling through LHR, I am fully prepared to pay to avoid such an outcome.

I will vent my spleen on ANZ and complain formally about their ridiculous booking system that can permit such a short change-over in (of all places) LHR. Thanks DaveReidUK for the information on the flight statistics and I will follow that one up and cite to them. Unsurprisingly, some of the delays on the AL flight seem to relate more to stacking at the LHR end rather than just a late departure from DUB. Interestingly, in the RTW (of which this is the first leg) taking in AKL, BNE, LAX and SFO, there are no other tight changeovers.

I am, however, looking forward to a good flight experience with ANZ and I remain interested in comments on the comparative experience of using their 772 vs 773 on long haul.

Regards