PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying in the UAE and keeping UK JAR/EASA ATPL current
Old 18th Feb 2013, 17:07
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me what I would need to do? I hold a UK (JAR) ATPL and the DHC8 and EMB145 ratings have lapsed past 5 years.....my UAE GCAA ATPL has ratings on the 330/340/380. I am current on the 380. All of these ratings are the dreaded P2 (not recognised in the UK). My UK IR is approaching 6 years from last renewal but have been flying in the sandpit for the last five and a half years and thus my IR, whilst current, is an ICAO standard one. My only current ratings are thus the airbus family on my UAE licence with an ICAO IR. am worried that my professional livelihood is now in serious doubt should I return to the UK, despite having been in continuous employment as a pilot for the last 25 years, the last 5 of which have been in wide-body ops into and out of the UK and worldwide?! This whole licensing and rating thing is just insane! How do I protect my UK IR and can I transfer ratings to an EASA licence from my GCAA one with the P2 on it (am trapped on the 380 for the foreseeable future with no upgrade possible without 2500 hours on type)? Any advice gratefully accepted.....