PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris Interview on TV (merged - AGAIN!)
Old 18th Feb 2013, 14:02
Pali

Received 246 Likes on 40 Posts
Interesting debate here

In fact my grandfather fought in WW1 on eastern front. He was paramedic and being wounded by machine gun fire. Then my father was too young to fight in WW2. That war was a big tragedy and the shame of capitulation after Munich agreement was gradually repaired by the actions of Czechoslovak pilots fighting in RAF during battle of Britain. Also there was an uprising in Slovakia in 1944 which took Germans more than 2 months to crush it and even then the partisan groups bothered Nazi till the end.

If there would be conflict with NATO during my military time I would serve as SAM operator and I would aim our rocketry at some readers of this forum. Thank God it never happened because I would be in a position when I would have to fight on the wrong side. I would perceive it as defending soviet system rather than homeland Communist regime was an oppression which most of you can't even imagine, it was even more vicious than Nazi at times.

When I look into history I can clearly see that common people seem to have too little power to stop the war. But there is one thing which can be done. Long before major war can start there is always some tyranny involved and it starts with violations of human rights. This is something which must be guarded. Good people don't speak out and that enables dictators to rise to power.

Coming back to bombing Third Reich: I had a German fellow - older guy I used to climb with on sandstone cliffs near Dresden. He was 14 at the time of big raid and once I asked about how it was. It was peculiar that he wasn't able to speak about it even 40 years later. Even if he tried he wasn't able to give me more than 2 sentences and then it was over. He apologised but simply couldn't say a word, he lived directly in downtown Dresden in 1945.

Last edited by Pali; 18th Feb 2013 at 14:23.