PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying in the UAE and keeping UK JAR/EASA ATPL current
Old 18th Feb 2013, 13:54
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will be limited to A6 aircraft but if your Gulf examiner also happens to keep his EASA TRI/E ticket current then you get the best of both worlds!
Dependent on two things:

(1) The particular state may demand proof of training up to standard (even if it's obvious that this is your current type)... This is because the training was not done by an approved EASA FTO. Even if it's an EASA approved examiner under the current interpretation of the rules by some states such as the UK CAA you would need to prove of at least some training towards your IR with an approved EASA FTO... I know this because I asked them directly.

(2) The simulator must be one of the EASA approved sims. I would think that all CAE's sims are approved but as for EK's own I'm not so sure - unless they're available for hire by EASA operators... At present EK do not use the CAE joint venture sim for recurrent PPCs as it has too many differences.

At the end of the day I'm hoping the EASA states see sense and anull the 7-year rule... It was designed to stop people getting an ATPL then not using it for over 7 years and then expecting to still have the theory knowledge to go straight back into instrument flying...