PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris Interview on TV (merged - AGAIN!)
Old 18th Feb 2013, 09:03
Pali

Received 246 Likes on 40 Posts
Imagination

Perception of events will change during the time. What was considered as a standard approach for war opps in WW2 would not stand the test today. When I see returning soldiers from our semi-wars of today I see heroes, but I am not so certain if the politicians who are sending them are not criminals after all.

Accept my apologies for mistakes in English language however it is not my native tongue.

In the beginning I want to reassure all involved - you fought a just case. I visited Auschwitz very recently (see some photos here) and it was quite a hard experience to see all that stuff. The problem starts with imagination. To see a big heap of children shoes, barracks, crematoria, etc. that is horrible per se, but when I stood at the edge of stairs to gas chambers I couldn't help myself and I just had to think about what the victims felt, what went on - I even couldn't imagine how any SS-man could stand that environment.

So yes, it was good to fight Nazi Germany at whatever toll. The problem is the imagination. It is very human to think about the consequences of own deeds. If you were a member of bomber crew you may try not to think about what happened down in the fire storm you incinerated. You have the luxury of being far and you have very little choice after all. An order is an order and that's it. I remember a film with Clint Eastwood (Gran Torino) where he plays a Korea war veteran and there is a priest who wants him to confess. Priest used an expression - you must suffer from all you did though it was ordered. But that was not the real problem. In the course of film Eastwood will say unforgettable line: It is what you did what was NOT ORDERED which will haunt you…

I remember few discussions with my UK friends and I was amazed how many of them were ashamed till today about Munich agreement when Britain broke the word and let us Czechoslovakians being swallowed by Hitler. But it is me who feel ashamed that our politicians decided to capitulate under the threat of total war with Germany. Yes, I really think it is better for a nation to take the toll for keeping own honour even if the situation seems hopeless.

There is a great film about the ordeal of a soldier who participated in an action which haunts him since - watch Last Samurai film and the way Cpt. Algren deals with his conscience and what is the way out after all.

What I try to say with this long essay - nobody can really say what a soldier should feel about own deeds. I am far from saying that Bomber Harris did something which can be considered as war crime (from a today's viewpoint) nor I know how far it was ordered to him or if it was his own idea on how to make war. I just know that sentient individual will be far from making categorical statements. Can you stand an idea that you bombed a little child who died in a horrible pain? Yes, off course you can, but…
I've read once that Britons hated U-Boats very much but once they saw the famous film Das Boot they suddenly saw a common german sailor - crew member who served and suffered too and the feeling regarding U-Boot sort of changed in UK (at least by those who saw the film).

I heard about drone operator who attacked a dwelling with suspected Taliban targets but at the very last second he saw a little child appearing on the scene. I can imagine that he has something to think about for the rest of his life.

It is our imagination which will work here (against us). Did you know that one of the reasons why Nazis decided to use gas chambers? Because it was not possible to ask SS members to shoot so many women and children. They actually tried but it created so much trouble that they had to change the way how to accomplish this grim task. I tell you, I had to weep when I edited my photos from Auschwitz…

Why so many people started doubts about bombing cities in WW2? Because journalists started to cover the war latest in 60's. US probably lost Vietnam war because of imagination. It was horrible for civilians, soldiers and PUBLIC to watch the war.

It was sort of bearable for bombing crews to do their job. If the same people would be infantry and they would be asked to demolish the same buildings with artillery face to face knowing civilians are dwelling inside they would probably oppose the order. Because imagination will fail you if you are closer to the battlefield and suffering.

I think that if any Air Marshall would order the same course of action today he would probably end as a war criminal. I don't say it was the same thing THEN. Also the belief that nation can be broken and demand the end of war is wrong. Britain was not broken by Blitz and Germans weren't too. Different times different viewpoints. The main difference is how public is looking at the issue TODAY.

Bomber crews had a very little choice and I consider them being heroes. They defended own country, bravely and with fatal end in too many instances. The higher command the more responsibility. But it is far from being black or white.

If anybody want me to make finite judgements then my answer is NO. I feel with commanders, with soldiers (and all the victims). Some people who faced action during any war may come away with it, but it is all about empathy and imagination.

We better avoid wars, don't we?

Last edited by Pali; 18th Feb 2013 at 09:19.