PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World's Longest Mail Run Part 2
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 23:56
Swamp Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former mail run pilot, 1998 - 2000, I flew with both Jody Rollings and Jeff Hodges and the Outback magazine did do a story at that time so the story referred to in this post may be a reprint from Dec 1998, It referred to the pilot as Jody Rollings but the photos are of Jeff Hodges. I still have a copy.
The run was done in an Aero Commander VH-ACZ . The only time a Chieftain was used was if the Aero Commander was U/S and the Santa Clause run, as the Chieftain had Aircon. When ever the Chieftain was used we took a brakes man (usually a commercial student from one of the flying schools) as we didn't shut down at stops because of the turbos.
The run was 1500nm, 26 landings (27 if you stopped in at Moomba for fuel due weather) just checked, I still have a flight plan. Overnight was in Boulia.
To the poster who thought it was a good thing to get out of the Santa run, I can tell you it was one of the greatest experiences of my career. Yes it was hot, one year 47 deg at BDV. I remember getting out of the plane at Leigh Creek on the way home and just standing under that shower thing next to the bowser. You were the only Santa these remote kids ever saw, and they came out of the woodwork, I never knew there was so many kids out there. We gave out lolly pack to the kids at each stop. The gratitude from the station people and the joy it gave to the kids made it all worthwhile.
I kept a file of letters sent from passengers I carried on the run which is about 4 inches thick and I also have two documentaries on DVD of the run, one by the BBC and the other from a German TV station if anyone is interested.
I left Airlines of South Australia in 2000 and flew for QantasLink for 13 years before returning to bush flying with my present position with the RFDS and again have the job satisfaction I craved since flying the mail run.
I would love to catch up with Jody, Jeff or any one else who flew the run if possible, so if you read this let me know what you are up to, regards Cobbo.