PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2003, 00:14
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PA42: I really wasn't intending to boast with that figure. I'm sure several of my colleagues in the mil have clocked up similar as instructors on the basic training units (Gazelles)(Wasp(Scout)!)

As SAS stated, we would spend hours a day at that stage in their course, doing real EOL's (no engine running at all). All perfectly normal. However, as I said surprise EOL's were few and far between. We would let them judge the entrance position from 1000' initially, into wind, modify the glide (with power if necessary-to make the spot), then chop the throttle completely.
I never looked in to "match any needles" I'm afraid!! too busy looking outside!
Eventually we'd practice downwind(180, offset)/range(bleed the Nr down)/low speed(from 30kts,high power)/min speed(going backwards to start with before converting to fwd speed, and finally an unannounced EOL from the overhead at height using all of the above.
The incidences of damage were remarkably small. In fact In all my years as an instructor I can only think of a handful of 'bumps' where either the bottom of the fenestron scraped the deck causing the sacrificial flange to crack, or the skids digging in too deep at the end of the run on causing the adf aerials to head butt the ground!!
My worse experience was of a student who froze with panic on the collective when I wanted to slow the bottom of the descent - we overran the landing zone and skidded along the runway!!

I wonder if the mil still do EOL's???????