PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Egnatia Aviation Greece
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 13:34
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece is at the heart of the Euro crisis, and even though things at the moment look calm, last summer the country was on fire with violent demonstrations and strikes. Nothing fundamentally has changed in this situation and there is still a real threat that Greece will be forced out of the eurozone, defaulding on its gigantic foreign debt if it refuses to make reforms and pay its financial obligations.
What will happen when it is kicked out of the Euro zone? The country will descent into chaos
I don't think so.

Greece has never been "on fire". Only the business in bits of Athens. Outside, there is nothing happening.

Businesses who get paid in Euros will just carry on operating in Euros, should Greece revert to the Drachma.

That is how the "EU but not Euro" zone runs. Czech Rep for example. Croatia too, and that's not even in the EU.

Greece is never likely to do what the communist bloc did which was to actually criminalise the possession of foreign currency.

Transportation: This was also a huge issue as they had a tiny bus made for eight people so a lot of times you would find no space left to get to school or back home when you needed to.
That may well be but you can hire a car for next to nothing, and then you have transport, which means you can pop down to the bars in Kavala and with your uniform loaded with gold braid you will be pulling the local birds Oh must also have a proper poser watch, but in Greece you find fake 2" diameter watch shops on every corner

Location: The accommodation is decent the internet has some major issues was very slow and sometimes wouldn't work at all, just be warned Keramoti is a village in the middle of nowhere and has nothing to do except in the summer. Learn Greek because hardly anyone can speak English.
Not my experience, having been there a few times, and to Greece many times. English is spoken well - much more so than in e.g. Spain where a lot of people (outside the immediate tourism trade) are quite often plain rude.

Re internet - probably true because the other students are downloading movies For €20 you can pick up a COSMOTE 3G data SIM which gives you about 2GB. Forget WIFI; it's a waste of time.

I am not suprised Egnatia are not so good for PPL training but one wouldn't go there for that. One would go there for a concentrated IR package, where you fly until you are done. Same as people go to Arizona, but you cannot do a JAA IR in Arizona

And if doing an IR or IR conversion, the HCAA is not involved. The examiner just signs the papers which are presented to the UK CAA. I have some notes here.

Last edited by peterh337; 16th Feb 2013 at 13:41.