PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn From my mistakes!
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 12:23
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the downwind left traffic for 21 doing touch and goes at KSMO with the CFI, the tower informs us they are switching to use runway 03 and instructs me to do a right 360 to allow spacing for an incoming 152 currently on extended downwind right traffic for 03 they will call me back when ready for me to follow in behind the Cessna. Upon nearing the completion of the 360 the CFI asks why I'm positioned so close to the field? Me being a right smug know-it-all student quoted safety tips I’d heard from other pilots, specifically I tell him the reason is that if the engine quits I can glide to the field. He replied “oh it’s not IF the engine quits, I can guarantee it will, and I can even tell you WHY” puzzled I asked him to elaborate, to which he said “these lycoming O-235's do not run well when jammed up the pilot ass” even more puzzled I asked how that's going to happen and he says the 152 you are about to have a head-on with will put it there, now stay the f**k out of the pattern until your told otherwise.

Last edited by piperboy84; 16th Feb 2013 at 12:25.