PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RW rookie vs. FW rookie job prospects
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 10:21
Adroight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC - I know from reading your recent posts on another thread that neither I nor anyone else can convince you that your view of the world is not the correct one. However, there is another world - one that most of us live in.

I doubt that you have flown in the civil offshore industry. Many offshore RW pilots earn a very respectable income these days. Of course only senior Captains earn in excess of £100,000 but as far as I am aware one begins any career at the bottom and works upwards - even the FW industry.

You comments about 'goon suits' - which I assume to be survival suits lead me to believe that you are referring to the North Sea offshore market. There are many other parts of the world where white shirts are standard flying offshore. I certainly am not 'uncomfortable' and if my job was 'dangerous' there is no way that I would be doing it. The most monotonous part of my job is everything associated with sitting in a cramped airliner for hours getting to and from my place of work. The thought of doing that as a living fills me with horror.

You conveniently ignore the fact that equal time tours are also the norm for pilots in the offshore industry - 2 and 2, 4 and 4 or 6 and 6. Those weeks off are spent at home or doing what I want to do - normally skiing, diving or sailing and spending my money, which, as I work overseas is also tax-free.