PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Nav
Thread: Pilot Nav
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 09:34
just another jocky

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
BEagle...for EFT, MDR is absolutely accurate enough, as long as it is calculated and applied correctly. For legs of <10mins in lengths, at speeds of 120kts, as long as you choose a decent waypoint, you can be considerably off heading and still not get lost. So it suffices for EFT. There are only just enough hours in the syllabus for the students to become adept enough at it to go solo. And I'd argue that it is much quicker than the method you propose in pre-flight planning. Takes 30 secs to MDR pre-flight plan - mean the winds off MOMIDS & write it on yr map. Calculations are done in the air.

All (?) front line ac now use integrated GPS/INS computer controlled nav solutions and as such, understanding the intricacies of those systems is surely far more important.

I'm afraid this all sounds a little "old fuddy-duddy, this is the way we used to do it and it was good enough for us." Not aimed specifically at you BEags, but it does get a little irritating when a lot of ex-RAF start 2nd-guessing those currently in-service thinking they know better.

I guess this forum must irritate me a lot then.