PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 08:24
airforced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extra legroom seats
I heard they are removing extra legroom seats due to a "sneak through" of legislation on APD from this crazy UK government.

Apparently extra leg room seats are now charged a higher APD rate (note 3):
HM Revenue & Customs: Rates of Air Passenger Duty

and see 2.5, lowest class of travel:
HM Revenue & Customs

The normal seats onboard would be charged APD at the reduced rate and the extra legroom seats would be at standard rate (as they are being marketed as a premium) placing an extra £63 tax on the seat! I doubt many people would want to pay an extra £63 in tax for extra legroom! Looks like they are going for the best option, to remove the extra legroom and maximize "normal seats" onboard to have one class charging APD at the reduced rate.

Another victory for business by this government, on top of EU261 from the great European Union

What are we doing; the UK would be better off without this government and out the EU, but that's another discussion, somewhere else!

obs
Sorry osbidian but that's a load of tosh. Nothing at all to do with APD. All Jet2 seats are economy irrespective of extra legroom or not and therefore the standard APD applies.

They are removing the extra legroom seats for two reasons. More bums on seats on their flights and a seemingly lack of take up for the extra legroom seats. Another reason I'm told is that their 757s are non-standard configuration which means if one goes tech (which they do every now and again) it makes life difficult when they come to swap them round. Standardizing the seating will help them get over such problems.

There are still some legroom seats but the majority are being removed gaining Jet2 about another six rows of seats on a 757 I'm told.

Don't believe everything you read on here (except this post obviously!)

MISTAKE: Not 6 rows of seats as shown above but 6 seats. Apologies.

Last edited by airforced; 17th Feb 2013 at 08:18.