PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Augmented GPS approaches
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2013, 07:28
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno really, however Air Berlin was the first airline in germany to have been fully certifed for GBAS approaches down to CAT I minima (737 fleet only), certification date was november 2009, trial approaches in normal line flying have been done since 2006. in germany bremen (EDDW) has two GBAS approaches to those limits which are normal approaches for air berlin, although they don't have many flights there at all. As far as i know Lufthansa is working on getting GBAS certified as their new aircraft (A380 and B748) are equipped to use those approaches. However there is no hurry apparently as neither of their hubs has an GBAS installation yet, although both are working on it. Braunschweig (EDVE) has a GBAS test installation which is used for CAT IIIb trial flights, they used Air Berlin 737-700s for some of the test flights, apparently autoland/rollout works like a charm with GBAS.

As far as i know GLS/GBAS equipment is either standard or offered at no extra cost on 737s since around 2005. For the A320 it is only available as third party retrofit at considerable cost, but that may chance with the NEO variant. Apart from that it is standard Equipment on the 787 and 747-8 as well as the A380 und A350.

When flying a GBAS approach it is quite apparent that the approach is more stable and "smoother" than a normal ILS, especially if other aircraft are preceding on the ILS to the same runway, since there is absolutely no signal distortion and no need for any protected areas. It is more apparent when using the GBAS approaches into Malaga (LEMG) than in Bremen though. Malaga is still a trial procedure though, apparently certification of that installation had to take a backseat during the spanish financial crisis.

Last edited by Denti; 16th Feb 2013 at 07:36.