PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RW rookie vs. FW rookie job prospects
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2013, 21:30
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dooby: don't forget also that if you fly single pilot ops commercially, you have to retire at 60 in EASA land. Only twin pilot allows you to carry on for a good few years after that. The added bonus being certain medical ailments allow you to continue flying if it is a twin pilot operation. So when you finally choose which way you want to go, consider this too.
Example: certain cancers, a heart attack or/and some drugs allow for twin pilot employment. None of the above will get you your job back if you are single pilot ops.
Even at aged 40, and assuming the age thing is a bar to flying with the big league, you could still get picked up by the next division down for regional/short haul work. Gives you a base to come home to every night, family life and still a short sleeve cruise drive from city to city instead of a stormy icy bumpy trip out to the rigs and back every day forever!
A no brainer if you ask me.
Can anyone out there give me ONE advantage for flying offshore over short haul FW? Anyone? Same for Corporate helo jobs over FW. (Not knowing if there is a job for you next Monday as the owner of the company gets bored with helicopter transport or the company goes bust.

All of what I have discussed is based purely on AGE at entry.

It's entirely different if joining the industry much much younger....I accept that.