PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 15th Feb 2013, 19:21
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratchin' the surface?.

There was a dull thump on the house boat back door last evening; turned out it was "The Old Man" (TOM a.k.a. P7) loaded with a dozen cold ones and half a box of excellent cigars. Quick as a flash I cancelled the Montreal trip and settled in for a long yarn. When the cigar was going to his satisfaction and about half of the first pint was settled, he cocks an eyebrow at me and says "passing strange business this 'The Chambers Report', ain't it?; to a thinking man that is".

I agreed; but as it turned out there was a couple of unexplained things worrying TOM: for example, why would the DAS commission a secret report into the CASA dealings with one operator?. If it was to be definitive study of CASA operations, with a view to improving the system, why the clandestine approach?. He speculated that such a report would normally be touted as an executive initiative, much publicised, spun until dizzy and designed to ensure that the DAS shone like "a bloody beacon of hope" to industry; "Handled properly, there's lots of brownie points in such a move" says TOM, "but you can always shoot off your foot off with a carelessly handled weapon; he probably just needs more practice in dealing with things that can and will hurt you, eh?". "Aye, passing strange it surely is".

"Do you know if he was qualified to draft such a lethal study?". I had to confess ignorance. After an interlude of quiet, he rumbles in a speculative tone - "It is unfortunate that the manager of the branch was the one anointed to perform this very delicate task", he says, "you have to wonder why?, I mean the bloke was the coordinator of the multi level of audit, special audit, investigation and all, must have been a busy little bee; takes time to generate a 16 page report damning the people who work for you, while keeping them happy and focussed". "Aye, 'tis passing strange".

Declaring that talking made him thirsty, he padded off to the bar for a refill, being a true Gent, he returned with two; "Just thinking" says he, "that report pretty much said that the crew doing Pel Air over were pretty much useless." "I wonder if they were retrained or just fired out of hand?, I mean, you have wonder why a manager would denigrate his own blokes, wouldn't you?. I mentioned rumours of a faction war within the hallowed halls of sleepy hollow and speculation about a bitter power struggle between two warring camps. "Yeah, I've heard that one too; makes you wonder, don't it? Of course, knowing the personalities involved and all the juicy rumours, by the time the third pints were delivered (P_26 a.k.a 362436) we were on a roll, my sides still hurt from laughing. I doubt Pprune would allow the conversation, so let's just say it was an interesting period of robust speculation, ribald humour and the sort of nonsense mates dream up over a few cold ones. But we allowed that it was all "passing strange", indeed.

At least the mystery of the masked man with one foot shot off is solved, probably won't end up as the DAS now; having managed to present the somewhat grandiosely entitled "The Chambers Report" to the Senate, the world and it's wife, in all it's tawdry glory.

Anyway, that's how "K" spent the evening – I watched as TOM stepped up onto his favourite horse and ambled off, crooning a kids song, into the moon rise. Passing strange? Aye; perhaps it was: but then, there are more things in heaven and earth. etc. Ah well, back to the digging.