PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 9th Feb 2003, 21:38
Ready2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have mentioned something on the regulations concerning Robinson helicopters in germany: It is not only the hours that you need in the R44 to get a rating but (i think since 1995 in germany) you also have to do an awareness training in it (R22 as well if you want to obtain a rating) to cover especially extensive training of autos, manual control of rotor- and engine rpm without governor, avoidance and detection of low rotorspeed, reestablishing of normal flight conditions and effect of low g condition and appropriate ways 'to get out'. I do not know whether this kind of awareness training is necessary all over the world to obtain a rating for a R22 or R44.

There are three combinations for the PPL(H):

1. Do it all on the R22 and get only a rating for the R22 (including R22 awareness) with your licence.

2. Do a combination of 30 hours R22 and 10 in R44 and you get both ratings (including awareness on both) with your licence.

3. Do it only in the R44 (or even in a turbine which is much too expensive and a waste of money just for the PPL(H) in my opinion) and you obtain the rating with your licence.

Now, the thing is, doing a combination of R22 and R44 is cheaper than doing the PPL(H) just on the R22 and obtaining the rating with the needed awareness on the R44 afterwards. I should have mentioned this in advance because they clearly state the numbers and i am not forced to do the PPL(H) on both types.

You are right, the test flight will not be in the R44 but R22. It is because of the additional costs of the awareness training that i want to go for the combination when doing the PPL(H). Without the awareness training you would only need 5 hours (single engine helicopters with more than 3 seats) for the type rating.

P.S.: I just checked the prices/hour: R22 EUR 330 and R44 EUR 510