PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2013, 13:29
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi peter

Thanks for the reply. I think it is possible to see it both ways. From the language in the patent document, we see the bleed enters the AB to cool the liner, but that is only one of the benefits claimed. Cooling the liner from the inside does not relate to heating the secondary flow outside and around it. Those are separate issues, imo. "Cooling" is counterintuitive, when thrust is increased, right?

The benefit to Thrust lies in the added mass, not its increase/decrease in temperature. ANY increase in mass in the ejector wil increase thrust, right?

The inventor references "full throttle", so "added fuel" is off the table. My reference to increase in SFC has to do with this added mass. Is it because in this added mass is added Oxygen? Better (more complete) combustion? One would think so.

Added mass, also yes?

As to the early reference to ram air effect? The inventor's juxtaposition of this drawback with the reference to "bleed system" is self explanatory, especially when considered in light of his later reference to his "solution"?

thanks again...

edit... At some point, it would be interesting to extrapolate this platform's potential to became an actual RamJet. I have drawings.....

Last edited by Lyman; 15th Feb 2013 at 13:36.