PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Management Course
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2013, 05:58
Volumex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Management Course

Having just dug deep to buy a share of a Victa, I am rather fortunate that the APS boys have decided to travel over the pond to run an engine management course for me. I am booked into the Brisbane one being held on May 17-19, however there is one being held down in Melbourne the next weekend. The highlight for me is going to be hearing from John Deakin – B-29 pilot extraordinaire, although his other claim to fame is that he is the highest hour 747 pilot. Walter Atkinson should be a character too – I haven’t read his book yet although I have read some of his stories and they usually result in uncontrollable laughter.

I did the online course last year, and it scared the bejeebus out of me knowing that the 50°F rich of peak is NOT a good place to run an engine at higher power settings. I recalled that for a few years I had followed the pilot manual which told me to run it exactly there, but fortunately I was fairly high so I was just outside the red box.

Some blurb for those who don’t know what it is about:
Engine Management Made Easy is a multi-media training program that focuses on the often over-looked vital area of engine management training. A thorough understanding of the combustion process enables the pilot to safely and efficiently operate the engine with confidence. The truths and myths about detonation and pre-ignition will be exposed through a demonstration on a running aircraft engine. The participant learns how engine performance is optimized in all flight conditions and how to interpret the valuable data provided by engine monitor systems. With training and understanding, engine monitors can save literally thousands of dollars in maintenance annually, and perhaps even save your life.

Advanced Pilot