PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RW rookie vs. FW rookie job prospects
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 23:42
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pondering the FW vs RW thing about 20 years ago. In those days jumpseats were still open and I was able to swing a couple sectors in an A320 and a couple in a Dash 8. At the time I was working RW but 1/3 of my time was FW and it was time to make a final decision.

I decided that I would hang myself from the cockpit ceiling if I went the FW route. Just me, I know, but money isn't everything.

As it turns out, my RW career has often been more lucrative than the FW peers I diverged from, the jobs more varied, and I have never been a slave to a seniority number. North Sea offshore sounds as if that number is king, like an airline, unfortunate.

If offshore RW is your desire in the end, your maturity will offset any gender issue that may crop up in the international touring segment. Times have changed and the places were it is an issue are getting fewer and further between. I'd be surprised if it was any issue 'locally'.

Research is your friend, and then just decide where you want to be in 10 yrs: geographically (offshore international touring RW, live anywhere); professionally (teaching, experiencing it all, stablility?); and personally (family, recreation, social).

My 2 cents, and good luck!