PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RW rookie vs. FW rookie job prospects
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 19:18
DoobyDoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RW rookie vs. FW rookie job prospects

Hi again @all,

the question might be silly, but please be forgiving. I would really like to check some qualified guesses on this.

As I have written in other threads, I am nothing like the typical pilot and thus have even worse odds than all the rest. End 30s/around 40 at finishing training, female, self sponsored modular training. Job hunting grounds: Germany, Scandinavia, UK (I am fluently multilingual).

With the above mentioned handicaps , which would you rather be in terms of hoping for one of the rare low-timer slots:

- FW rookie with ATPL, low timer

- RW rookie with ATPL(H), low-timer with some instructing experience

Reason for asking: I have spoken to various flight schools both FW and RW, believing none of them as they only want my best (= cash), but it did make me think twice when one helo FI said that the RW industry was a little more forgiving in terms of age/background, with a similar chance for lowtimer-slots as in the FW world (considering the ratio of trained pilots vs. job offerings - just his words, though). So his conclusion was, if "untypical" and "too old" he would prefer the rotary industry - next to not wasting the money at all of course.

Then again, the only visible RW market around my area is Offshore, which seems to be like the most male dominated business EVER.

Any thoughts? Is he right?