PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?!
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 17:10
Higher for hire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jez d,

the GAPAN test is not meant to be for someone like Ben as you can read on their website:

It should be emphasised that the tests are designed for those with little or no flying experience. The validity of the tests declines rapidly for those
who have in excess of 150 hours of pilot flying.
Moreover, as I said before, aptitude tests in general lack a proven negative predictive value, the GAPAN test is no exception from this rule and a good example for a very common misconception:

Various flying schools and their client airlines have been very satisfied with the progress of their students who took the tests, and the Guild has used it as part of commercial flying scholarship selection procedure to good effect.
This is nice to know, maybe even true, but it is not what the test was aiming for. The goal of the test was to identify individuals who

were patently not suited to be professional airline pilots.
And this is definitely something the test is not going to tell you. If you pass any test like this you will most probably be able to graduate from flight school and become a pilot. But this does not mean that the converse argument is also true, far from it! If you fail the test this is meaning actually nothing.

I would not spend money on any of these tests, neither would I base my career decisions on their results.

Last edited by Higher for hire; 14th Feb 2013 at 17:13.