PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour-building in USA & Renter's Insurance
Old 14th Feb 2013, 15:23
clearpr0p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I saw this thread and thought it looked awfully familiar! So here's my feedback from my experiences to help out anyone following in my footsteps:

I ended up doing all my hour building with Chandler. I chose Chandler because I wanted experience specifically on the PA28 and in Arizona but from my research, I know there are cheaper hours available, in particular C150s - (look for clubs based in states that do not tax aviation fuel-there are a few!) but Chandler is still definitely competitive as far as PA28 rates go.

Chandler do include renters insurance so damage to their aircraft is covered. I was still a little unsure as to who would be liable if there was third party damage so took some out as well. That said, there is not much to crash into as the terrain outside Phoenix is quite sparse. I found renter's insurance to be quite reasonable and for the sake of a few dollars, I think a lot of people do err on the side of caution just for piece of mind...it is America after all. Sure there is the "it'll never happen to me school of thought" but ironically my travelling companion got bitten by a spider and a visit to hospital set him back about Gbp 500 for a nurse's appointment and some drugs. Luckily he had travel insurance!

Not to digress, the aircraft are fine. They are dated but well maintained and perfectly acceptable for VFR flying. IFR instruments may leave a little to be desired for on some aircraft. I think they had a fleet of about 8 working PA28s of which 3-4 are Garmin equipped too which is handy if you are worried about negotiating unfamiliar airspace.

The instructors there are first class, all very experienced professionals who know their stuff and instruct for a career. If you do head up there, theres a brilliant man called Kurt. He's very quintessentially American with a brilliant moustache and a fantastic character.

I did my hour building in June when it was really hot -typically 40-45 celsius making flying less pleasant but the upside is aircraft availability was great. I understand the peak season is in the winter months. If flying in summer beware the air density is an issue. You would be lucky to squeeze in 2 heavy people into a PA28 and expect reasonable climb performance and you need to be extra cautious in the north where density altitude is quite high. There is a mountain checkout but to be honest, in hindsight and despite being a 200hr pilot at the time, I am glad I had an experienced friend who knew the area on board because it is hard to appreciate exactly how hazardous negotiating the terrain can be- combine this with mountain waves around Flagstaff and the adrenaline does get going-you always need to be alert for an out if the situation goes pear-shaped but if you take it seriously, and practice good airmanship, weight & balance and performance planning etc you'll be fine.

The only possible negative with Chandler may be that they are keen to keep the aircraft close to base and are not too keen on overnights which is understandable-I don't recall anyone doing overnights in the 3 weeks i was there. But, I was more interested in building hours rapidly and getting to know the local terrain better-there is still a fair bit to see, so that wasn't a problem for me. Also, the airspace over the grand canyon (2.5 hour flight each way) is quite restrictive and very busy so do your research first and purchase a sectional and plan your trip ahead so you know what to expect if flying over the grand canyon is a key reason why you're choosing Arizona.

Otherwise, Arizona is a very pleasant and easy place to fly around. There are numerous small airfields/strips/airports and nowhere in the USA charges landing fees! If you're a bit more adventurous, you can fly up towards Page/Lake Powell which is beautiful. I also visited Tucson international just to have a go at landing at an international airport. To be honest, its a bit like a Bournemouth!

I had a great time at Chandler and they were able to accommodate my hour building needs to a tight timetable well. I do recommend them.

My only bit of advice, make sure you have your accommodation and car rental sorted out thoroughly in advance. Prices vary quite a bit and can make the difference money wise as to whether you would have been financially better off remaining in UK. I did 45 hours though so it was a no-brainer.

All the best with your flying,

Last edited by clearpr0p; 14th Feb 2013 at 15:37.