PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn From my mistakes!
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 14:34
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did most of my power flying training out of a very large, busy airport with a mix of singles, twins, helicopters and airliners.

Due to the amount of circuit traffic congesting the R/T, many readbacks ended up as just acknowledgements, usually with just the last two letters of the callsign, e.g. "G-FB, number seven, call downwind and turning base"..."FB".

I got sent off on my first solo after only a few lessons, as I was already an experienced glider pilot, so it was just the engine that was new to me. I did as briefed: took off, flew a standard circuit (rather large due the sheer volume of traffic and ATC having to juggle various types of aircraft onto finals), then eventually got to line up with the runway and was cleared to land, which I read back.

Apparently, when I was on short finals at 300', the tower asked me to go-around as an aircraft wanted to cross the runway to the other side of the airport. I replied with the end of my callsign "FB", or whatever it was, but by then had fixated on the runway as I was "Cleared To Land", plus pretty much all of my previous flying experience was in aircraft where a go-around was NOT an option available most of the time.

I vividly remember flaring, cutting the power, just about to touch down then to my horror seeing a twin-turboprop come onto the the runway a couple of hundred metres away and turn towards me. I still have a picture in my mind's eye of the two prop discs.

By that time, everyone who could see what was happening and was near a radio had started transmitting, so it turned into unintelligible noise.

I made an instant decision (possibly influenced by the go-around instruction that I hadn't read back earlier trickling back into my consciousness) that I might not be able to stop before colliding with the other aircraft, so gave my machine full power and yanked it back into the air. The turboprop pilot saw me at about the same time and went for the nearest exit while I zoomed overhead. I don't know what the miss distance was but I have no desire to get any closer to another aircraft head-on.

I flew a rather wobbly second circuit to an uneventful landing and shut down on the pan. The first person to meet me was the deputy CFI, who instead of delivering a massive bollocking, asked if I'd like to sit down and have a cup of tea! Afterwards, he said that I had gone completely white with eyes like saucers, so there was nothing he could have said to make it any worse.

There was a 3-way discussion between the CFI, ATC and the turboprop pilot and they agreed that we all had learnt from the incident: ATC knew that I was on a 1st solo yet had prioritised a ground movement over my landing, I didn't read back the instruction properly but that lack of readback was missed, plus the other pilot didn't check the approach was clear before lining up.

The ATC recordings got lost in mysterious circumstances shortly afterwards and everyone started doing proper readbacks. I was still so hyped-up that I had to leave my car at the airfield and get a lift home with someone else. Since then I have always put a lot of effort into proper R/T...