PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways B777 recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 12:37
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time expat gigs are needless to say a culture shock. Especially workig for a legacy carrier for 30 plus years. But we all know what happened to pay, terms and conditions, and retirement benefits at DAL, USAirways, United, NW to name a few.

In 23 years, I've never had any contracting agency nor carrier follow the tems and conditions to the letter. Most, performed to the best of their ability in good faith. If pay was late, yeah, yeah I questioned it. Yeah they said they were sorry about the pay. I am an educated consumer. When I see hand writing on wall, or expirence such abhorant behavior by the airline, or contracting agency, its time to move on.

Perhaps pay issues were a bit different with Jet before 2010. Yeah I know pay was supposed to be in the bank on or about the 1st of each month. Well its not. Its in the bank on or about the middle of the month.

While the length of the contract may be stated in writing, however economic conditions change, employment requirements, and work visa issues change, thus requiring, resulting in premature termination, or foreclosure of the contract.

Contrary to popular belief, Jet honored their side of their contract when expats were terminated last year. Most pilots remained on the property for the term of the termination section (be it 1 or 3 months) with uninterrupted pay. Terminated pilots were given recommendation letters and adequate time to secure employment elsewhere.

How many carriers in the US that do this, be they a union or nonunion shop?

It's a shame that it's no longer a perfect world for an expat.