PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn From my mistakes!
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:47
Vino Collapso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the early 80's I used to fly a TB10 to/from a farm strip near RAF Marham, Norfolk.

The plan always was that the owner flew it down to our engineering facility for some work to be done. He would pick me up and fly home, he would get out and I would then take the aircraft back down for its work. We did this series of trips numerous times over a few years.

On this occasion when he flew it down for work it was decided that it could not be used to take him home due to maintenance 'issues'. So I borrowed one of the clubs TB9's and flew him home in that. Job done, chuck him out with a cheery wave, see you in a few days, turn the machine around and off we go!

Now it was one of those strips that wasn't over endowed with length and you used to land towards the farmhouse and take off away from it unless it was really blowing a gale. So there could sometimes be a few knots of tailwind. The TB10 (180hp V/P prop) when lightly loaded was actually quite good at short field. The TB9 (160 hp fixed prop) was another matter!

Halfway down the take off run I had one of those 'momentary thoughts' along the line of 'what the hell are you doing this in a TB9 for?'. Remembering that the TB9 could be hauled off early and into ground effect where it would happily sit for many many many many metres I decided not to haul back and gingerly eased it off.

Cut a long story short (too late you say) I cleared the trees at the end with the stall warning bell merrily ringing away so I am here to tell the story.

Morale of the story? I always gave the strip due respect because of its topography, so much so that I forgot the other half of the equation which was to use a suitable machine! Particularly when it comes in two varieties of the same aircraft in which you fly numerous hours in both and usually at light weights.