PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can BEng Graduates become B1 Licensed Maintenance Engineers?
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:41
pilot9248

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Phil,
I am also an Aero BEng Student at Liverpool. Before that, I did an apprenticeship and am now an aero engine mechanic with a little bit of work experience and, in total, three years in industry. Included in my apprenticeship was the training course for A1 and A2 licences. Unfortunately, I am still missing one module, because my employer/training organisation didn't do any airframe work and therefore I couldn't satisfy the requirements for practical experience.

I came to my decision to study aerospace engineering when I realised that all my apprenticeship could get me (at that particular company, but I wasn't really interested in MRO, so not too many options after all...) was maybe five interesting years of work, where I could have gained experience working in a specific engine programme (more than one if I was really lucky). After those years, it would just become increasingly dull, up to the point where it's just "same s#!t, different day"... However, that doesn't have to be the case, if your (future) employer appreciates that you're keen on going above and beyond the call of duty, you're eager to learn something every single day and eventually master your craft, rather than just being a mere executor of assigned tasks. Many companies tend to dumb down work, so that they can hire less skilled people and pay them less.

Even though I finished my apprenticeship top of my class, even came out on top of all 2012 apprentices in that particular sector, I was quite gutted when I realised that my employer couldn't be bothered to get me a job where I could demonstrate my ability, even though I was well on the go, asking everyone for interesting job opportunities. I received an offer to join a mobile repair team almost six(!) months after I had enquired... Needless to say I had to turn it down, as I was going to move to L'pool just a few weeks later.

My first year (so far) has been quite interesting and extremely frustrating at the same time and I have been thinking about dropping out more than just once. But I think all in all it is a good degree, and with just 17 months to go I'd definitely stay! There's more to aerospace and aviation than just MRO! If you like, we could meet up and chat about our experience, just PM me if you like.

Good luck!

Last edited by pilot9248; 17th Feb 2013 at 17:41.