PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 90m RESA just before a cliff, does it make sense?
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:26
Sir George Cayley

Hi EnxAero,

I think you raise a valid point for discussion especially after the Moscow plane crash and the motorway barrier beyond their RESA.

90m is a minimum requirement and 240m a recommendation so compelling an airport to provide the full 300m (60 + 240) is unlikely. Until after the accident

Using Street View one can see the aircraft carrier type runway perched on top of the hill and the precipitous drop at each end. The area before Rwy 21 looks somewhat bizarre with netting and lots of green poles; what's that all about? Wish I could post a photo to show everyone.

When an airport looks to lengthen their runway to more than 2100m that suggests they hope for bigger a/c to serve longer route. (natch) It follows that a/c mass and energy increase putting more stress on safety areas.

It seems obvious that the laws of physics will win but I wonder if all airport directors fully appreciate the potential erosion of safety margins.

Maybe you could keep an eye on this airport and update us on any developments. Thanks for your post.