PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 14th Feb 2013, 08:01
FlyingDumbells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA EASA Class 1 eyesight help.

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I need to find out if my eyesight is acceptable to the UK CAA for an initial class 1.

My prescription done today is Left Eye: -5.50 sphere, -1.75 cylinder, 180 Axis and Right Eye: -6.00 sphere, -1.50 cylinder, 180 Axis.

I have read this below but I am unsure weather I meet the requirement as I do not know if ''refractive error'' means adding the astigmatism onto the refractive error to get a total? If that was the case then above left eye would be -7.25 so it would be out of limits. Can someone clarify what is correct, without having to travel to the UK to do the medical?

''Your visual acuity (measured by your ability to see, in this case, lines of letters on a chart at
6 metres) must be at least 6/9 in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes together, with
or without glasses or contact lenses (correction). If you need correction, the refractive error
(the amount of correction) must not exceed +5.00 dioptres of long sight or -6.00 dioptres of
short sight. This is in the most ametropic meridian (taking into account any astigmatism).
Astigmatism must not exceed 2.00 dioptres. The difference in correction between each eye
(anisometropia) must not be more than 2.00 dioptres. Your optometrist will be able to
explain these terms. If your refraction exceeds the limits stated above, please contact the
CAA medical department for further advice''

Last edited by FlyingDumbells; 14th Feb 2013 at 08:02.