PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 04:47
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peter, I think perhaps the "induced flow by the engine" may be a reflection of the Ben Rich statement "the engine compressor is just a pump to keep the inlet alive". If you think of it in those terms the engine is indeed "inducing flow", and of course that air is being heated by the afterburner.

One part of the paper I'm having trouble getting my head around is the statement
If the AB is reduced to minimum AB, the engine would actually be dragging on the engine mounts at high Mach numbers.
Why? Most of the range charts include the figures for a minimum afterburner setting. The base engine is operating at military power whenever a afterburner setting is selected. Selecting some range figures, min A/B, Mach 3.2 cruise, -66.8°C OAT, 105,000 pounds AUW, 72,600 feet, specific range 47.5 nautical miles/1,000 lbs fuel. The flight manual notes under descent procedures that at military power, Mach 3.2, 350KEAS, the angle of descent is approx 1°. Confused is an understatement. Perhaps JF with his expertise may jump in.