PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn From my mistakes!
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 02:30
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete and catastrophic engine failure in Hughes 300C helicopter I was training in back in the early 90's. We'd just passed out over a large body of water when it quit. Thankfully I had instructor with me and he turned around immediately and aimed for the little island we'd just passed. He made a flawless autorotation to a field about 100 yards from the shore....

Took off in 172 with 3 people up and noticed after awhile that climb was very anaemic and speed was declining in climbing turn - throttle friction had come loose and throttle had vibrated out.

2 cylinders and valves chewed to pieces on left engine and engine ran very rough. Thankfully I was in twin and could continue to my destination airport which was close.

Left carb heat on by mistake taking off at Big Bear - field elevation 6752ft on a hot day. Climb was not very impressive...

Electrical failure on short final at night - twice! Finally found culprit in loose connector to breaker.

Gear down light micro switch had been misaligned and repaired. Then on night trip with friend, it doesn't come on again. I can see the mains are locked and in place, but the front wheel can not be seen at night in the spinners. I have a hunch it's the microswitch again and land. It holds - phew. Then next day as I fly it to mechanic and as we tow it in, the front wheel collapses on the tug..! Turns out there was a structural problem in the FW attachment and it could have collapsed at any time on landing...

Scud running in very bad weather on numerous occasions... Not so smart, but your tolerance levels go up when you fly a lot in it and you insidiously accept worse after a while. Be warned.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 14th Feb 2013 at 14:25.