PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 23:22
Jamie2k9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that it needs to be marketed in a different way in other countries and Ireland West sounds about the best name.
Agree the name is not suited to the region it covers as it dosn't cover the whole West.

There is no major city or global name nearby, Galway isn't a runner, and they tried Connaught, Horan, Knock. Last thing it needs is another name change!
Well going through so many names does it no favors for people outside of Ireland. Ireland West needs to be dropped and just left Kncok. A number of destinations that are served from NOC have Connaught-Knock displayed at there airports. So the name IWAK is a jock as no airport apart form NOC itself use it.

HHN/BVA
Everyone knew these were a big ask (especially starting with a 738 mid depression) and Dependant on generating inbound demand (at a time when national reputation was in the mud in Germany). MOL warned they would only work with support. All the talk from Tourism Ireland, Minister, Taoiseach, stake holders at the time of launch was about putting resources in place to promote in those markets, integrated plans.

IWAK say Tourism Ireland wouldn't set targets, didn't start marketing until halfway through the season. The airport secured their own €1+ million marketing fund from local county councils. All too late though, FR happy to keep SNN/NOC guessing this year while the bailout debate goes on.
Don't agree about out reputation being in the mud as your average person is not going to base a decision on weather or not to go to Ireland because we bailed them out etc. When HHN was at SNN it was a fairly weak route to but it did better than NOC. For some strange reason HHN works from KIR. I would go say its also a very marginal route from DUB to. BVA on the other hand should of work without much marketing. It had LF of over 90% when it was the only link to Paris from SNN. I don't see these routes will be going to SNN, although SNN are looking at a Paris connection but it won't be with FR.

You can put too much emphasis on a name. Would any outsider know where "JFK" or "Charles de Gaulle" airports are if they didn't already know? If it's in Knock, call it Knock and Google Maps will do the rest. In my catchment of geographically challenged travelers "Ireland West" means Cork and Kerry, so without help, they translate that into Shannon
We're talking about a small regional airport and not two of the busiest airports in the world. A big difference know them and its easier by the fact those cities have 3 or 4 airports.

Lack of urban area near NOC doesn't favor it as most people coming here will base themselves in a city for many reasons such as transport, good accommodation, easy to get information etc.