PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down near Almaty
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 18:54
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CRJ 200 on takeoff (at rotation) if the rotation rate is too aggressive will result in a stick shaker activation.
A CRJ 200 in a low energy go-around such as one in the flare at 10 feet and in ground effect if too aggressively pitched up toward the flight director will also initiate a stick shaker. If you retract the flaps whilst below Vref, in a low energy state while engines spool up (from flight idle to Max on the order of 5-8 seconds) you will very likely stall a wing tip which results in a roll toward the stalled wing which could result in a tip strike during that low energy state and surface friction will contribute to....
etc., etc., etc.
which was part of the YFC low energy go-around.

I believe the accident report also mentions a wing tip strike. This is my take away from what I read in the report but, I'm still only speculating which doesn't necessarily make me correct.

If an airport is reporting Cat IIIb RVRs, how does a professional airline crew not certified for Cat II or III even begin to fly an approach on a Cat I ILS?
Pilot intent or pilot error?
How does that same crew hit the ground 2 miles short of the intended landing runway?
By descending to a pseudo DH? By running out of fuel?
again, pilot intent or pilot error?

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 13th Feb 2013 at 19:06.