PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 15:30
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR NDB

Boeing was lucky in both cases. In TAK the plane was going to have an inflight fire. Underneath cockpit, inside FWD EE bay
I don't follow. Some of what happened to JAL will bear on that statement. A complete report by the firefighting agency would be a good read.

I thorough reading of Lithium Ion regulations seems to permit some pretty nasty stuff, but I venture fire is not included.

The flight crew had only a BATT WARN, and the "smell" to go on. Is there a FIRE EE BAY alert we do not know about?

They had to descend from 31000 feet, which took some time. When was this predicted fire supposed to have started?

So it appears there may be a squishy area not addressed by regs? Of all the nasty stuff that is allowed, the assumption has to be that the airplane is capable of 180 (330) minutes of continued flight?

All these incidents have occurred aloft, save JAL. JAL problem may have begun while airborne?

What seems to be lucky, is the proximity of runways and/or Fire departments to allow emergency procedures.