PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:09
sawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name

Sorry Jamie I disagree on the name. Knock means nothing to anyone outside Ireland, and it had negative connotations for air travellers within Ireland other than locals (small, politics, bad roads, weather, religious history, years of negative media etc). There is no major city or global name nearby, Galway isn't a runner, and they tried Connaught, Horan, Knock. Last thing it needs is another name change!

I think IWAK was a masterstroke in positioning and very forward looking (what could be clearer "Ireland > West > Airport"). It turned a vice (rural location) into a virtue (central axis in large W/NW region). The re-brand was the beginning of the airports growth phase and the device off which their marketing strategy has developed. I'd say "knock" was only kept to appease the locals. It also gives surrounding counties buy-in as "their" local airport.

The "West of Ireland" is the repetitional brand associated with tourism, rugged scenery, traditional culture, ancestry, Irish hospitality. The name puts the airport on the map as the gateway to that region and stamped their ambition to fulfil their mandated role as an economic and tourism driver of the West.

FG Politics
As to your other replies, it's not that any one of those points aren't valid, but taken together show the Government are still stalling on the issue despite the report smokescreen, that was my point.

HHN/BVA
Everyone knew these were a big ask (especially starting with a 738 mid depression) and dependant on generating inbound demand (at a time when national reputation was in the mud in Germany). MOL warned they would only work with support. All the talk from Tourism Ireland, Minister, Taoiseach, stake holders at the time of launch was about putting resources in place to promote in those markets, integrated plans.

IWAK say Tourism Ireland wouldn't set targets, didn't start marketing until halfway through the season. The airport secured their own €1+ million marketing fund from local county councils. All too late though, FR happy to keep SNN/NOC guessing this year while the bailout debate goes on.

Last edited by sawtooth; 13th Feb 2013 at 10:16.