PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is in your log book?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 08:55
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What is in your log book?

Following on from the Valiant Tankers thread and question what was what was Trial 306, just how explicit is your log book?

I think we all adopted our own codes and abbreviations for sortie details. Some meant something at the time but nothing now and others you will still remember vividly.

At random, in May 1963 I did A3/4 Track Plot in a Varsity at 1 ANS as 2nd Nav. I can decode most of that A-Advanced Phase but 3/4 gives no clues as to route etc except it was at night, early in the course, and probably an astro sortie for the 1st nav.

Or more recently, Shackleton, QRA Scramble 4xBear 'D'. Now I can't remember that sortie but I can decode it.

However what will happen to your log books once you have gone in either mind or body? Your children*, in later life, may well wonder exactly what Daddy (and now Mummy) did.

May be it would be a good idea to pencil a few notes and anecdotes for posterity.

*My grandson's eyes popped open when I mention casually that his Mummy has fired a GMP, fired mortars, thrown grenades and driven a Bradley :0