PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 07:34
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WF, You seem to suggest that I might not know what I am talking about, so perhaps I should explain. 30 years Police service. Directly involved with the development of air support 1984 - close of service in Dec1998. Helicopter industry Police liasion 1999-2011.

Yes I have been opposed to NPAS, but mainly because it had one objective only, that of saving money. Had there been any informed intention to increase efficiency and effectiveness it would have received my full and unstinting support, for I have always belived in the correctness of a National Police Air wing delivered regionally.

But it was set up with deliberately no involvement from those who knew anything about air support. But more importantly it used spin and "Political speak" to try and convince people who did know a bit about it that less was actually more, and that the sacrifice of such units as Merseyside, and Chilterns North ( Bedfordshire ) and others, was actually a good thing!

No WF It was the way it was done and the mess that its left us in that I object to. I accept that its here now and we have to live with it, I also accept that the current management is an improvement on what went before. but NEVER try to tell me that its all an improvement OR that the guys at the front end of Policing are getting as much support as they did before.

The new system will work for big pre planned and major events. So the Chiefs and Politicians will be able to say it is a success. But we developed air support to be available quickly to the bobby on the ground who was in trouble or could not locate the fugitive. It was also directed at curtailing vehicle pursuits. But now with longer transits it is less effective in that role.

As I said earlier, it all depends on where you place your values. Oh and of course LEADERSHIP! ( Sorry to use that dirty word again )

tigerfish