PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 00:05
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And of course that has nothing at all to be doing with Peter Kent's question
I'll have a go Clive
'is inducing flow and heating it up with maximum afterburner'
From the brief quote peter I don't understand as to whether David is talking about cruise or low speed. The only "induced" flow by my understanding would be that provided at low speed by the tertiary doors and the suck in doors.

The tertiary doors are located immediately in front of the nozzle, hinged at their leading edge, and actuated by varying internal nozzle pressure (a function of Mach and engine thrust). At subsonic speeds when open, ambient air is entrained (induced) in the exhaust gas flow.

The second induced flow is that provided by the suck in doors, located on the nacelle in the region of the compressor section, during ground operations. Once again this flow is a result of venturi effect of the exhaust gas flow. The purpose is to provide cooling air to the space between engine and nacelle, before becoming entrained in the exhaust gas flow. In flight, the inlet shock trap bleed and the aft bypass doors (when open) provide the engine/nacelle space cooling air. A third source of cooling air to the engine/nacelle area is the external bleed (a bleed on the six bypass pipes) which are scheduled as a function of rotor RPM and Mach.

peter, you may be interested in David Campbells inlet patent

Patent US3477455 - SUPERSONIC INLET FOR JET ENGINES - Google Patents